Bits & Pieces


 
 Site Index 

Emulsion '1B' Developing-Out Contact Printing Paper

Same recipe as '1A' with the following changes:

1) 15 drops glyoxal.

Result:  It didn't change the emulsion bubbling problem at all.  The only thing left to consider is the Everclear addtion.  This is the first recipe I've added Everclear in the precipitation step.  I found a reference in an old emulsion book that suggested this was a trick for finer grain.  Maybe, but only if you are willing to use hardening fix.

2) No 1% KI addition.

Results: A bit slower, a bit warmer, and more density steps.  Although it's hard to see from the scan, '1B' picked up step number 3 and the distinction between steps # 13 and 14 is more pronounced. 

Above from left: Old Azo test strip, Emulsion 1A, and 1B.


A much longer toe with just a little change in the highlights for exposures that gave the same densities in both '1A' and '1B' to step #11 (10 sec and 15 sec, respectively.)  Also, the emulsion may be a little sharper than '1A'.  If so, the difference is slight.


Crops from above: The highlights in '1A' and '1B' are almost identical, but the shadow detail in the hair is much closer to the Azo in '1B'.   (Please note that the Fabriano paper prints do not appear rough 'in person'.  The appearance of extreme texture is a scanning artifact.  What you are seeing is the light shining off the emulsion-coated paper fibers.  Prints made on Fabriano HP/Hot Press, i.e. smooth paper, are not as smooth and crisp as glossy baryta, but not anywhere near as far different as a flatbed scan would indicate. )

'Gracie's Sea Hag' and 'Cosmos and Bee', b&w bases for silvergum prints.



Copyright The Light Farm